Sunday, August 24, 2008

Monday Inspiration: Imogen Cunningham

When I discovered Imogen Cunningham in college, I felt a bolt of light hit me. At first I couldn't believe some of her images were made when they were, early 1900's. She lived a great life, passing on in the mid 70's, but the breadth of her work represented a woman who simply created and supplied a body of photographs to inspire for decades.

Her family and friends became her models, while always searching for people to sit for her: Frida Kahlo, Ansel Adams, Martha Graham to name a few. With her trusty Rolleiflex camera, she created images with great intensity in black and whites.

This is the first image I saw of hers.
Self-Portrait on Geary Street, 1958


A Double exposure of the great Martha Graham:
Martha Graham, 1931


and finally,
Three Dancers, Mills College, 1929


Someday I'll get to buy one of her prints! Someday.

No comments: